Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Voting The Future




















When I was small , I was lucky enough to have free reign with my imagination and endless free time for it. I spent most of my time there in fact, in my own private world. A world of dinosaurs, space and heroic adventures, created from books mostly. Even for lucky childhoods like I had, the innocence is fleeting and somewhere around 10 we realize that the gig is up?
The news lately has been especially bad for kids, a trend of the last 20 or so years and I don't know what it would be like growing up today with what little ears can pick up. We never had constant exposure to terrorism, torture, pedophiles, school shootings, teen violence, sex everywhere, dieting, climate change, sexual identity...and on and on it goes every day.
Most voters are parents and I think in Canada and the U.S. more will be in a trend to vote for people that they think can make the world better for their children and children's children, rather than tax cuts today and a false sense of security from an exaggerated foreign threat.
Republicans deserve to unravel under the weight of their own corruption before the upcoming elections. They've been a fraud wrapped in a lie while filling their pockets and their friends pockets and not giving a damn about anyone's children or everyone's future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can only hope this latest scandal keeps snowballing, and I think it will.

BTW, that picture is absolutely stunning. I'm swiping it for a future screen saver! Thanks!

Q said...

I think that one came from the millions at flickr.com
If there is Karma, it was invented for repukes.

scout said...

we only had to deal with cold war drills sending us under our desks for shelter (fat lot of good that would do), pedophiles but no place to turn, corporal punishment (still on the law books)....lets not wax too romantic about our childhoods. BUT, no matter what era, and this is certainly a low point, children pick up on the anxieties of their parents.

yes, it's severe mypopia time....perhaps we can convince some philanthroppists to air drop drugstore 'readers' around the world. a little maple leaf in the corner would be a nice touch from the poison ivy harpo's put on the flag.

Q said...

What can I say scout, I'm a sentimental kitty :)

Alison said...

I sometimes think that the religious bigots with whom I am so impatient are just people who desperately and sincerely do want to protect their children, but lack the imagination to envision something more heartful than finding a scapegoat.

Daniel Dennett has a quote of which I am rather fond :
"Morality is the cultural artifact for improving the circumstances under which we have to act."

Ok, I'm definitely rambling now...