Thursday, September 14, 2006

Book Meme Part 1

Zarathustra descended alone from the mountains, encountering no one. But when he came into the forest, all at once there stood before him an old man who had left his holy cottage to look for roots in the woods. And thus spoke the old man to Zarathustra:
" No stranger to me is this wanderer: many years ago he passed this way. Zarathustra he was called, but he has changed. At that time you carried your ashes to the mountains; would you now carry your fire into the valley? Do you not fear to be punished as an arsonist?
Yes, I recognize Zarathustra. His eyes are pure and around his mouth there hides no disgust. Does he not walk like a dancer?
Zarathustra has changed, Zarathustra has become a child, Zarathustra is an awakened one; what do you now want among the sleepers?
Zarathustra answered, " I love man."
"Do not go to man. Stay in the forest! Go rather even to the animals.
"And what is the saint doing in the forest?" asked Zarathustra.
The saint answered, " I make songs and sing them ; and when I make songs, I laugh, cry and hum: thus I praise God.
When Zarathustra had heard these words he bade the saint farewell and said, "What could I have to give you? But let me go quickly lest I take something from you! And thus they separated, the old one and the man, laughing as two boys laugh.
But when Zarathustra was alone he spoke thus to his heart: "Could it be possible? This old saint in the forest has not yet heard anything of this, that God is dead!"
(Thus Spoke Zarathustra- Nietzsche)

4 comments:

scout said...

there was a sign on a church i saw recently that said 'nietzsche is dead'. i thought it was kinda funny the church was doing a reversal (even though i'm not religious i can appreciate good humour)

i've never read nietzsche but know many who consider him wonderful....as with chomsky. don't know, kinda like to form my own thoughts not based on any 'greats'. but it must be good reading for many.

Q said...

Nietzsche like most existentialist type writers inspires one to think for yourself and be responsible for ones own actions. It was an inspirational book when I was young and helped shape my iconoclastic personality... muahahahahahaha

Alison said...

I find most cats like both Nietzsche and Kafka - although I strongly suspect this is merely because both those names are sounds cats make anyway.
And then just to be perverse they go and eschew Mao as being too obvious.

Q said...

Most cats love Meow.
Kafka's tough when you have a hairball, especially those freaky parables.